It’s not every day that a rookie can provide a veteran presence. But that’s exactly what Steve Slaton is doing for the Toronto Argonauts during their CFL training camp. But it has nothing to do with on-the-field drills.
The CFL players presented a concession to the CFL earlier this week that asked for a $5.2 million salary cap per team. It’s been reported that the CFL rejected that proposal. In the same breath, the players are set to vote on whether or not they will strike on June 7 and if the vote is in favor, Slaton and the rest of the players could strike on June 10.
In that same report, Curtis Rush of The Star, noted that Slaton has provided leadership during the strike talks after having gone through a similar situation during his time in the NFL.
Slaton played in the NFL during the 2011 season when the NFL lockout took place and, when asked about what to do during these types of situations, Slaton said it’s best to remain positive and professional.
“When the NFL lockout hit, you had to work out on your own, but you still have to be professional. When that day comes and you’re back, you have to hit the ground running,” Slaton said.
Despite the looming strike, Slaton plans to compete for the starting running back job for his new team as training camp winds down.
The Argonauts are scheduled to begin the preseason on Monday, just one day before the imposed strike would begin.