The Detroit Lions reported for training camp on Sunday, making them the last team to start training camp in the NFL. Several teams were already up to their fourth day, preparing for a day off. Here is what we learned on Sunday.
– J.T. Thomas sat out of practice on Sunday after injuring his hamstring on Saturday. We do not know the severity of the injury at this time.
– Geno Smith went 4 for 10 passing during Red Zone drills on Sunday. The Jets were in full pads, and Rex Ryan was angry with the defense afterwards because they got a little rough with the QBs (who are off limits) during the session. Smith tossed two TD passes during the period. The Jets have the day off on Monday.
– Pat McAfee hosted 30-40 military members and families at Colts camp as part of Armed Forces Day.
– Former Rams and Cardinals QB Kurt Warner attended Rams practice on Sunday as a member of the NFL Network. He spent time tossing passes to Tavon Austin and Chris Givens. Warner told Austin that he was just a liiiittle faster than his high school son running routes. You can watch that video here.
– Charles Sims also looked good on Sunday.
Charles Sims was great running and receiving today. Always open as a receiver and has great hands. Awesome on stretching running plays.
— Eric Dellaratta (@EricDellaratta) July 27, 2014
RB Charles Sims shook DT Matthew Masifilo out of his shoes on a cutback run. Continues to look great and should backup Doug Martin this year — Eric Dellaratta (@EricDellaratta) July 27, 2014
– Don Barclay got more first-team reps at RG for the Packers, filling in for T.J. Lang who is working through a shoulder issue.
– Bruce Irvin looked on from the sidelines at Seahawks practice. The team placed him on the preseason PUP list while he recovers from offseason hip surgery.
— Nikki Jones (@fuzzybunny_feet) July 28, 2014